Reduce Your Foot and Back Pain with Custom Orthotics
If you regularly experience foot pain, you’ve probably sought several ways to find relief. Different shoes, perhaps, or over-the-counter pain relief medications. You may have even considered using the foot analysis machine in your local drug store or Costco.
It’s so easy, after all … just step on the foot outlines on the in-store machine and it will analyze your feet! Then, instantly recommend the perfect orthotic for you … from a limited selection of ready-to-take-home products. Ta-dah! Instant relief!
Sound too good to be true?
If you suffer from foot, leg, knee or lower back pain, you know that a quick fix is rarely the answer.
At Pickering Village Chiropractic & Massage, we use GaitScan™ technology from The Orthotic Group to assess and analyze your gait and how it affects other parts of your body. Dr. Noble or Dr. Fera will review your GaitScan™ report and prescribe a custom-made orthotic that can help relieve your pain by realigning and stabilizing the bones in your feet and restoring your natural walking pattern.
What are custom orthotics?
Custom orthotics are devices worn in your shoes that provide correction to your feet, helping them to function more efficiently and alleviate pain. Poor foot function and alignment may be the cause of your foot, hip, knee and back pain.
How does GaitScan™ work?
- After removing your shoes and socks, you walk across the GaitScan™ pressure plate where thousands of tiny sensors capture the distribution of each foot over time.
- GaitScan™ maps your foot pressure and the computer displays two- and three-dimensional representations of the pressure under your feet. From this, we can see where your feet receive too much or too little pressure.
- The information is then summarized into a report which we will evaluate. The findings help us determine whether the pain you are experiencing is related to impaired foot function.
- We review the GaitScan™ report with you and discuss whether orthotics are required.
- If it is determined that you will benefit from orthotics, your information is sent to The Orthotic Group laboratory where your custom-made orthotics will be manufactured
What symptoms can custom orthotics help to relieve?
- Localized foot pain
- Bunions, hammertoes
- Pain in your arch/heel
- Leg or knee pain
- Hip or lower back pain
How can custom orthotics help me?
Think of custom orthotics as working on your feet similar to the way that glasses work on your eyes.
Custom foot orthotics reduce stress and strain on your body by bringing your feet back into proper alignment. The plastic body of the custom orthotic helps to re-align the foot by redirecting and reducing certain motion that takes place during the gait cycle.
Custom orthotics fit into your shoes as comfortably as an insole and — unlike the insoles you purchase at your local store — they have the advantage of having been made from precise imprints of your feet.
Are custom orthotics right for you?
Custom orthotics are not just for people who suffer from foot pain. Custom orthotics can also help those who suffer from back pain, pain in their hips or knees, and people dealing with arthritis-related pain. They are tailored to each individual and are typically designed to ensure that the bones, ligaments and tendons in your feet and lower legs are aligned and positioned properly. This helps to ease pain and stress on your feet and can improve the functioning of the muscles over time.
To book your custom orthotic consultation, contact us at the Pickering Village Chiropractic & Massage Therapy clinic at 905-427-3202.